Monday, September 12, 2011

Wrenovation

Monday, August 1, 2011
At least someone’s “wrenovation” is complete. We should be so lucky! Mrs. Wren has finished her nest in my kitchen window, laid her eggs, and according to the little peeps I hear when I am at my sink or stove her babies have hatched. Of course, Mama built such a well constructed nest that I cannot see these little peepers.

I think Mama is a bit ticked off at me right now. How dare I have the nerve to wash dishes and cook dinner at the stove while she’s trying to feed her demanding young. She keeps popping into the window and craning her neck to either stare me down and tell me to “back off!” or try to decide if I am a threat to her brand new family. I try to stay out of her way. Yes, I have altered my schedule around her feeding schedule. LOL. What can I say? I love my birds.

I finally saw Mr. Wren. I guess the Mrs. decided that she’s had enough of doing all the work and has told him he needs to step up to provide for his family. She must be quite persuasive as Daddy has risen to the occasion.

On the wildlife front I am enjoying my Garage Sentries (eh, toads). Each night four of these toads position themselves at equal intervals along the length of the garage door. It's so funny--they look like they are standing guard all in a line like that. And they look pretty darn grumpy. I wouldn't mess with them.
Oh, and then there's this thing:
He's been hanging out in the same window as the wren family. He's rather prehistoric looking. I think this is a Katydid (do you spell that with a C or a K?) Off to be a nerd and learn more about these bugs...

No comments:

Post a Comment